BENCHMARK STUDIO&STAGE™ RCA TO XLRM ADAPTER CABLE
This special adapter cable connects unbalanced analog RCA outputs to balanced analog XLR inputs.
Use this cable to connect unbalanced line-level RCA analog audio
outputs to the balanced analog audio inputs on an AHB2 or an ADC1. May
also be used to connect the unbalanced outputs on a DAC1 or DAC2
converter to the balanced inputs on an amplifier (if the balanced
outputs on the DAC1 or DAC2 are already in use). This adapter cable will
work with electronically-balanced XLR inputs or with
transformer-coupled XLR inputs. Do not use this cable with digital signals.
Special Wiring to Reduce Hum and Interference:
- Back-referenced audio ground - for common-mode rejection
- Star-quad conductors - for magnetic immunity
- Dedicated shield connection - for immunity to ground loop problems
- RCA center pin to star-quad + to XLR pin 2
- RCA ring to star-quad - to XLR pin 3
- RCA ring to shield braid to XLR pin 1
How it Works:
This adapter cable extends balanced wiring to the RCA
connector using star-quad wire to maximize the effectiveness of the
balanced input: One half of the star-quad ties Pin 3 of the
XLR to the shield of the RCA connector. The other half of the star-quad
ties pin 2 of the XLR to the center pin on the RCA. The braided
shield ties pin 1 of the XLR to the shield of the RCA.
Using this special wiring, a ground-loop between the two audio
devices will produce a current in the braided shield, but not in the
audio signal lines. This keeps ground-loop currents out of the critical
signal lines and greatly reduces the potential for interference. The
separate connection from the RCA ground to pin 2 of the XLR provides a
dedicated path for the audio ground reference. This wiring leverages the
common-mode rejection of the balanced XLR input to reduce
To reduce magnetic interference, the audio signal is carried on two
twisted pairs arranged in a star-quad configuration. This star-quad
configuration provides immunity to hum-inducing magnetic fields produced
by nearby electronic devices.
This cable provides the best method for directly interfacing an unbalanced output to a balanced input. Do not confuse this cable with similar-looking RCA to XLR cables and adapters!
Benchmark Adapter Cables
Benchmark Adapter Cables combine the best cable, connectors, and
construction techniques in order to offer high performance and excellent
durability. Canare StarQuad L-4E6S Microphone and Audio Line Cable is
flexible, satin smooth to the touch, and extra strong. The cable offers
excellent immunity to hum-inducing magnetic fields (due to 4-conductor
StarQuad construction), excellent shielding from RF interference (due to
high-density braided shield), very low handling noise (due to internal
construction), excellent flexibility (due to 40-strand conductors and
special super-flexible insulation), and extended frequency response (due
to low capacitance). Benchmark Adapter Cables are handcrafted with true
silver solder, using gold-contact Neutrik XX series connectors. The XX
series are the most reliable XLR connectors available - providing
excellent contact quality, strain relief, pullout resistance, and
durability. Neutrik XXR color coding rings can easily be added to
assembled cables if desired - order rings separately. A
Benchmark-branded sleeve is your assurance that you have purchased a
genuine Benchmark Adapter Cable.
- 21 AWG effective AWG of combined twin conductors
- 24 AWG, 40 strand (x4) Copper conductors
- Special cross-linked PE insulation
- Flexible in extreme cold weather
- High-density (> 95% ) TAC Braided Copper Shield
- Conductor DC Resistance: < 29.9 Ohms / 1000 ft.
- Shield DC Resistance: < 9.1 Ohms / 1000 ft.
- Capacitance between twin blue and white conductors: 46 pF / ft.
- Capacitance between conductors and shield: 57 pF / ft.
- Nominal Impedance: 44 Ohms
- Hand assembled in the USA with true silver solder
- One end is RCA-Male, the other end is XLR-Male